Sunday, August 8, 2010

Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed

I just finished watching the Ben Stein movie "Expelled."  I must say, I was rather disappointed. Not only did the filmmakers fail to adequately present their case, it was also pretty boring. So boring, I dozed off at one point.  Even though I disagree with his views, I still expect better from Ben Stein.

The film's creators <snark> try to show that free speech in America, as well as freedom of thought and scientific inquiry, is being suppressed by a conspiracy of Darwinists intent on holding down the "science" of intelligent design.  They try to prove that "...educators and scientists are being ridiculed, denied tenure and fired - for merely believing that there might be evidence of 'design' in nature."* Stein interviews a bunch of creationists (sorry, ID'ers) who are having a hard time in the scientific community. Oh, whine. Why shouldn't a biologist who does not believe in evolution have some rough going in the world of science? Evolution is science. Intelligent design is a religious fairy tale. It does not meet the scientific criteria of being testable or falsifiable.

The film then goes on to attempt to discredit evolution by bringing up the Holocaust and eugenics without considering that the Holocaust and eugenics have nothing to do with the Theory of Evolution.

Oh, and did I mention that the film was boring?  I thought Ben Stein was supposed to be funny.

BTW, I bought the DVD used from the Salvation Army, so the producers got no money from me. But, a religious charity got three bucks.

*from back cover of DVD

No comments:

Post a Comment