Sunday, September 5, 2010

So, awhile back...


Back in my smoking days, I found myself stopped on Chrystie St at Delancey, and an one-legged homeless man in a wheelchair rolled up to my window.  Because I see a lot of homeless during my shift, I don't usually give out money while working, so I offered the guy a couple of cigarettes. He took them and said, "Thank you kindly, young man.  God bless you."

The light turned green, and I made a right onto Delancey, and maybe two hundred people were on the sidewalk.  Most of them were looking for cabs, so I figured a concert just finished at the Bowery Ballroom.  I picked up a young couple and took them to the East Village.

It wasn't far from the Ballroom, so I decided to head back to grab another fare.  I ran down 2nd Ave onto Chrystie to find myself stopped at the same light at Delancey.  The same homeless guy rolled up and I offered him a couple more cigarettes.  He looked at me quizzically and said, "I'm feeling a terrific sense of deja vu.  Thank you kindly, young man.  God bless you."

When the light changed, I made the right, and there were a mass of people still on the sidewalk.  I picked up a few, and again, went to the East Village.  Being so close, I had to try the Ballroom one more time.  So, I flew down 2nd Ave onto Chrystie and stopped again at the same light at Delancey.  Again, the same homeless guy wheeled over, and I got a couple cigarettes ready.  He looked at me for a few seconds, and said,"Boy, wouldn't it be easier just to give me the whole damn pack?"

So, I did.  Why not?

2 comments:

  1. Great story :) I give homeless guys cigs when I am out on my route, too. Never a whole pack, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, but aren't you supposed to be somewhere? A honeymoon perhaps? Congratulations, by the way.

    ReplyDelete