Saturday, February 26, 2011

Oscar Marathon: Roundup and Picks

K and I have seen the ten Best Pisture nominees, and that was too many. The Academy should have kept the number at five. Hollywood can't seem to produce ten movies worthy of nomination, and I would have liked the chance to have seen some of the movies in other catagories, such as Biutiful or Inside Job. I think increasing the field to ten films is just a pathetic attempt to sell more tickets to suckers like me. What annoys me even more is that I fall for it.

OK, my picks. Keep in mind, that I'm not predicting the winners. You'll need to find another website to help with your office pool. I'm picking those that I think should win. I'm also skipping the catagories that I haven't seen enough of the nominees, or that I don't care about.

Original Screenplay: It's between The Fighter and The King's Speech. Both screenplays are well done, but I'm going for The Fighter, just because I like the movie better. It is a film about an underdog after all.

Adapted Screenplay: Winter's Bone. By far the best movie of the year, and that cannot be done without a stellar script.

Supporting Actress: This is the most annoying catagory. It is a tough call between Melissa Leo for The Fighter and Hailee Steinfeld for True Grit. This wouldn't be a tough call if Steinfeld was nominated for Best Actress which she deserved. She was the movie; it revolved around her completely. She deserved top billing, but it went to Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon, and Josh Brolin, who only appeared for less than fifteen minutes. She was the lead, and she deserves credit for it. That said, I'm going with Leo, who gave the performance of her career.

Supporting Actor: No contest. Christian Bale for his performance of the junkie older brother in The Fighter. Simply brilliant.

Best Actress: Jennifer Lawrence for Winter's Bone. A riveting performance of a young lady fighting to keep her family intact despite her father missing and her mother mentally ill. A breakout performance by a new actress, who hopefully will have a great career ahead of her.

Best Actor: James Franco for his portrayal of a man fighting madness and despair and makes an impossible decision.

Best Director: Debra Granik for Winter's Bone was snubbed in this category, but this is my blog, so we're playing by my rules. I'm going with Granik.

Best Picture: I presume you've guessed my pick by now, but in case you haven't, I'm going with Winter's Bone. A dark, depressing film of a girl fighting for her family's survival. The film is set in the Ozarks, one of the poorest parts of the country. Social norms and customs unknown to those who don't live it are shown in haunting detail. Interestingly, while woman are still considered second class citizens in this part of America, the strongest characters of this film are female. They are obedient to their men until need arises, then they take charge. Also costarring John Hawkes, who gives an outstanding performance. I highly recommend this movie to anyone, but be forewarned, it's really fucking depressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment