Monday, April 23, 2012

Google sucks, but at least I have the BBC now.

Before this trip, I bought a tablet thingy. I knew that I would want to blog while wandering about Europe, but I didn't want to carry heavy laptop around. I wanted a portable device that I could use for blogging, Skype, Facebook, browsing, and I wanted the GPS capability of tablets. So, I bought a Toshiba Thrive, which I thought was the most versatile with full size HDMI and USB ports, as well as a SD card reader. But, it crashed whenever I tried to use Skype. So, I returned it and got a Samsung Galaxy Tab. It doesn't crash,  but the only port it has is Samsung's proprietary port, which I hate. Every device should have the basic universal ports so people can buy new cables anywhere.  But, whatever, at least it doesn't crash.

But, a problem. The browser can't handle the Blogger website. It just says "loading" and doesn't go beyond that. So, I installed the Blogger app, but it only has the most basic functions.  Most annoying, it only allows the uploading of one photo per post. And only at the top of the post. I want to be able to post as many goddamn photos as I want. I find this especially galling because my tablet runs on Android, an operating system owned by Google. Blogger is a blogging platform owned by Google. I would think that Google should be able to get Google products to work on Google operating systems. Seems like common fucking sense to me. But what do I know about computer shit? I'm just a slightly intoxicated bloke sitting in a cruise ship lounge listening to a mediocre lounge singer.

My point, besides whining about my first world problems? I have photos to post, and I can't post them. I've tried a couple other apps, but no luck so far. I'm hoping that once I find faster internet onshore, or a real computer, that I'll have better luck. You'll have to wait until then to see photos. Sorry. Blame Google.

But, on a happier note, I have better TV. I was sick the last few days with a bit of a sinus infection. So, I spent a couple of days in my stateroom, reading and watching TV. The TV is severely lacking. All of the news channels are Fox, which is more propaganda than news. And, both of the ESPN channels are the same one that plays nothing but soccer. Soccer isn't bad necessarily, but I don't care about Real Madrid. I care about the Red Sox. I want to know how the season has been going. I want to know if David Ortiz is slumping or killing. I want to know if Bobby Valentine has said something stupid yet.

But, things are looking up TV-wise. Yesterday we were in Tenerife, which is awfully damn close to Africa, but our tour guide claimed is part of Europe (full post, with photos, coming as soon as I figure out my Google problem). Since leaving, we have had better TV. We are now reduced to just one ESPN station that plays nothing but soccer, but we have the BBC World News. Woo hoo! Real news! Of course, now that I'm healthier, I'm not watching TV. I'm too busy getting slightly intoxicated and listening to mediocre lounge singers.

2 comments:

  1. What a data of un-ambiguity and preserveness of valuable experience on the topic of unpredicted
    emotions.

    Review my web blog ... dreambox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, superb blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?
    you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your web site is wonderful,
    as well as the content!

    Visit my web site - other hd channels on sky hd

    ReplyDelete